Monday, April 21, 2014

Blast from the Past: The Hits of 1966

Why 1966? Because my birthday was this weekend, and that's the year I was born. And since I really didn't get any chance to celebrate, due to The Other Half's schedule and our home improvement projects, I thought I owed it to myself to mark the occasion somehow. So, here it is, some of the best songs of 1966. Some hold up really well, I think.

1. Monday, Monday by The Mamas and the Papas - Mom thought this song was number one when I was born, but I think it really hit soon after. And it was number 7 for the year.

2. (You're My) Soul and Inspiration by The Righteous Brothers - This song actually was number one the day I was born.
 


3. These Boots are Made for Walkin' by Nancy Sinatra - Went all the way to number 13 for the year, and dear old dad hit the charts in '66 too.
4. Devil with a Blue Dress/Good Golly, Miss Molly by Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels - Number 32.
 


5. Uptight (Everything's Alright) by Stevie Wonder - One of Stevie's best, I always thought. It hit number 59 for the year.

6. Winchester Cathedral by The New Vaudeville Band - A weird one, sounding a bit like The Beatles' more "granny music" stuff.  It was number 18 in 1966.



7. Yellow Submarine by The Beatles - Weird, even for The Beatles, but good enough for number 96.

8. Wipeout by The Surfaris - Every drummer's challenge. It was the number 63 song of 1966.



9. Secret Agent Man by Johnny Rivers - Almost cracked the year's top 50 at number 53.
 
10. The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel - See? I told you it was a good year for music. But still only number 54.



And there's a whole lot more. I got my data from the Wikipedia page for Billboard's Hot 100 for 1966. Check it out for a bunch of other great songs, from The Beach Boys (Barbara Ann, Sloop John B), to Cher (Bang, Bang), to Neil Diamond (Cherry, Cherry).

But that will wrap it up for the weekend. Have a great week, and Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...